Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Designer Showcase: Using Old Product

Hey Pam here! I think using old product is so important. While I absolutely LOVE to buy new products, I know the importance of using older product on my page as well. Let's face it, we have a lot of old product don't we?

I am going to start with my layout today. It incorporates OLD and NEW product. For instance I used only one brand new item. It is the red paper from Simple Stories. The rest of products are 1 year or older. The mustard cardstock paper, teal cardstock paper, and the flower over the queen are over 5 years old I believe and made by My Minds Eye.
BRIGHT IDEA #1: Pick out a color scheme and match old and new products to it. My color scheme was brown, mustard, burgundy, teal, grass green, and off white.
"The Joust" by Pam Callaghan



The next page by Sharon is another great example of using old product. Look at at how well designed this page it. This is how Sharon used old product, "I used very old ribbon that I had in my stash, and also used old tiny alpha stickers to label everyone! All of the stickers were Susan Branch stickers which were ancient!!!"
BRIGHT IDEA #2: Don't be afraid to use very very old product as Sharon did. They might be that extra touch that looks great on your page.

"Corn Roast" by Sharon Fritchman



Gael is sharing our next page. She incorporated beautiful old product into her page. This is what she had to say," For this layout I got the idea from an article I'd seen in a magazine by 
Steph Devlin where she had used doily and layered them on squares. I really liked the idea as you can layered the squares as little or as much as you like. This layout certainly had me going to my stash and rediscovering some of my old treasures. I found this style was a terrific way to use old products."
BRIGHT IDEA #3: Go through your stash to discovere old treasures old doiles and other vintage items! Layer them on to your page to create a beautiful treasure.
"Together" by Gael Spence



Cindy's page is next. She does such a great job of making old product look new!! I had no ideas that her supplies were that old. This is what she says about her page, "The background paper is approximately 10years old. I think it's from one of those ProvoCraft Slabs from back in the day! The arrows are about 3 years old and the number stickers are at least that old too." It fits absolutely wonderfully with her photos!
BRIGHT IDEA #4: If you wait long enough old product can feel like new. If you haven't used something in so long, it can look like it's brand new as well!
"119" by Cindy deRosier


Our last page is by Tanya. She says the oldest product is probably from 2002! That is when I started scrapping back in the day... wtg Tanya! Here is a listing of her products and such, "Doodlebug key lime dotted line paper - 2004; Doodlebug limeade paper frills - 2006; Doodlebug cardstock - pre2008 (they were already moving away from this when I bought them in 2008); Doodlebug sugar-coated and crushed velvet cardstock - 2007; Doodlebug just my type alpha stickers - purchased in 2004, made prior to that;Doodlebug dotlets - 2002; Doodlebug ribbon - 2008; Doodlebug stick with it - 2008; Doodlebug sew easy rub-ons - 2004; Doodlebug sugar coating glitter - 2007; Cuttlebug - purchased in 2010; Cuttlebug fancy pants alpha dies - purchased on clearance in 2010; Making Memories tag maker - purchased in 2008; Xyron - purchased in 2004; Provo Craft silent setter - purchased in 2005
BRIGHT IDEA #5: Make it a challenge to yourself to use mostly old stuff! You might have fun and save some money :)
"Meeting Henri-Jean" by Tanya Ham


Thanks for visiting today. Please send along any old product layout you would like to share on the blog to scrappingpam73@yahoo.com

VISIT THE CONTRIBUTOR'S BLOGS/GALLERIES
Cathy Dippolito
Dolores Schaeffer
Cindy deRosier
Marlene Murphy
Lesley Walker
Gael Spence
Sarah Routledge
Sharon Fritchman
Tanya Ham
Sheila Burns
Pam Callaghan
 



5 comments:

  1. Great ideas and beautiful layouts! I'd never have guessed this was all old product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of the pages. Yes, if you wait long enough, the products do seem like new again! Thanks for sharing them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep good ideas! Only I have found some of those 'what was I thinking' papers at the bottom of the pile.. and those old papers need to be revamped to use!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I actually use all old products on my creations as 99% of my supplies are things my wife didn't want anymore. :P

    ReplyDelete